Skip to main content

Hello!

Hello!

This is a blog to post the findings of my research over the next few months with regards to teen vaping. I will also be posting my actions and what I gather from those, whether it be surveys, interviews with those committed to raising awareness on vaping, or interactions with those at my school. Let's start with a little information about me.

I am currently a junior at Mountain Vista High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. The reason I am pursuing this project is twofold. First, I want to make a difference in the community. My school offers a lot of community service opportunities, but none of them are meaningful, creative, or have long lasting implications. By pursuing this brand of community service, I would be actively creating a change in the community. Secondly, the issue of teen vaping is incredibly prominent in Colorado, and most likely everywhere. Every time I go to the bathroom, I see kids hanging out and vaping. At this point, it has become entrenched in the community. People I have known since birth (and would have never expected to be vaping) are succumbing to the craze, and I want to do something about it by informing them before they make the conscious choice to vape. So since I want to make a meaningful contribution to this community that has afforded me so much opportunity, and since I feel so strongly about this issue, I've decided to begin to raise more awareness about the issue and work on this community service project. Let's now talk about what this project is.

What I will be doing essentially is raising awareness about the intricacies of the vaping industries. Specifically, I will be researching lots of academic studies concerning addiction, how vaping companies tend to market their products, teen drug use studies, and compiling a lot of the information on a blog. I will also be talking to some students to get an idea of what drug abuse looks like at Mountain Vista (How many do it, why they started, etc.) At the end of this researching period, I will write to the Denver Post or some other news organization to publish an article highlighting what I found. By doing this, I will be raising awareness about the dangers juuling and vaping and allowing people to make more informed decisions when or if they decide to vape. This process would hopefully bring more attention to the issue of vaping and allow high schoolers to make informed decisions in their lives.

-AB

Comments

  1. AB - I have to give you huge kudos for what you are doing. I'm not sure what affect this comment will have, but I'm getting rather active in your cause. I live in the silicon valley and have a son that is 17 and is highly addicted to Juuling. As a parent, it is very difficult to manage through this and I applaud you in your efforts. It cannot be parents that lead this charge (although I'm inclined to start my own crusade out of the desire to keep my son and many other parents sons and daughters from this travesty) as I think kids today are smarter and more motivated to do the right thing. We need to use this social media platform not only to inform, but to help people make better decisions and to be able to stand up and say "no." I get the peer pressure thing - I was a teenager myself and understand the pressures of adolescence. And, I know that some may say that it's not that dangerous or it's my body so I can do what I want. But, with the statistics that you have gathered it's staggering. I've asked my son about his high school and anecdotally, more than 30% of the school is doing it. I am beginning my journey with the school system, but it a bigger fight than any one person can fight. It's grass roots and it's mature young adults like you that will help to chip away at this epidemic. Keep up the good fight and let me know how I can help.
    A concerned father - David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have become happy to have a look at this newsletter after searching at google, after reading I have written a chunk of the article about macintosh apple fruit : Thank you for the thing and supporting me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become happy to have a look at this newsletter after searching at google, after reading I have written a chunk of the article about apple fruit price: Thank you for the thing and supporting me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Are the Bodily Harms of Vaping?

In my past few posts I have outlined the scope of the issue of vaping and the causes of this epidemic. In this post I will discuss the bodily harms of vaping, as the widespread use of vape products wouldn't be harmful unless it could cause severe harms to the American student population. Unfortunately, the harms of vaping are both numerous and substantial. I will first discuss the short term harms of vaping, or what can happen to one's body after a few uses. Then, I will discuss the long term harms, or what can happen to one's body after chronic and regular usage of vape products. To start, there are a few short term harms of vaping that should deter those interested. One such harm is the possibility of potentially deadly side effects. These come in the forms of allergic reactions, where the body, being unused to the vapor and chemicals in the lungs, reacts negatively, often causing serious complications. One such instance of this is An 18-year-old woman, who was diagnosed

What Does High School Vaping Look Like in Colorado?

When looking at teens and drug use, the question has to be asked: How bad is this problem? Drugs are obviously a part of high school, so is vaping really that much different? Isn't it just another minor, self-correcting problem? And these are valid questions. Vaping, health wise, isn't as bad as smoking, or other hard drugs, such as cocaine and heroin. When we look to the issue of vaping, however, we see that the issue of vaping doesn't lie in its effects on one person. It lies in how widespread it is. To examine this, I created a survey designed to diagnose how serious the vaping epidemic was at Mountain Vista. This survey was designed to be representative for the entire school (population ~ 2400) with an approximate error bound of ±7%, meaning that the results are representative for the entire school within a range of 7% (either higher or lower). The first question I asked on this survey was simple. It asked "Have you ever vaped or used products similar to 'Juul&